In this article we will talk about How to create a template in adobe cq5 using CRXDE Lite.
First lets understand what is a template in Adobe CQ5 :-
Template is basically a blueprint for creating a page and describes what are the components that can be used within the page. It has the same hierarchy as page but with no content. For creating a page we need a template. Creating components and render them on a page is the most common task that a CQ developer does in his day to day job. Lets see how to create a template.
Steps to create a Template:-
- Login to CQ environment and go to CRXDE Lite (Ex: www.domain.com/crxde)
- Create a Template folder under /apps/<site-id>/
- Create Folder window is displayed.
- Enter templates in the name field.
- Click on ok button to create the folder.
- Right click on /apps/<site-id>/templates folder then select Create –> Create Template
- Enter the required details for the template as shown in below figure, and then click on next.
- The property sling:resourceType cq:Template will be created on the Templates jcr:content node.Enter the following information into the Create Template dialog box:
- Label: A node for template will be created in crx repository with this name.
- Title: The title that is assigned to the template. This will be displayed when we create a page using template in Site Admin.
- Description: The description that is assigned to the template.
- Resource Type: The component’s path that is assigned to the template and copied to implementing pages. Enter <site-id>/components/page/contentpage.
Resource type basically tells that this template will be used to create an Adaptive Form or Adaptive Document or a Site Page.
For creating an Adaptive Form Enter: Resource Type -fd/af/templates and Allowed Path – /content/forms/af(/.*)?
For creating an Adaptive Document Enter: Resource Type -fd/af/templates and Allowed Path – /content/forms/af(/.*)?
For creating a Site Page Enter: Resource Type -<path of page> and Allowed Path – /content(/.*)? or if it is place under apps /apps(/.*)?
- Ranking: The order (ascending) in which this template will appear in relation to other templates while creating a page in Site Admin. Setting this value to 1 ensures that the template appears first in the list.
- Select Next for “Allowed Paths”.
- Enter the following value: /content(/.*)?
Note:- /content(/.*)? means that we can access our template, anywhere placed inside content folder, if we want to access template from apps folder change path to /apps(/.*)?.
- If you forget to enter allowedPaths after clicking on OK. You can create the following property on your template node:
Name: allowedPaths Type: String (String Array) Value: /content(/.*)?
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on the Next button.
- Click on the Ok button.
- Click on Save All button. Your CQ Template is created successfully as shown below.
Note :- The Order of evaluation at the time of page creation is(with cq:allowedTemplate as highest priority):-
- allowedPaths (deprecated)
CQ:AllowedTemplates:- We add this property at root or website(jcr:content of website root page) level to restrict which are the allowed template for this website. It is a multi array field to support multiple paths from where it can pick templates.
allowedPaths:- It is also similar to CQ: AllowedTemplates but it is deprecated and if we use both allowedPaths and allowedTemplates then allowedTemplates gets priority.
Lets understand allowedParents and allowed Children using an example:- Following example describes can we create a Template T under a Page P or not.
Testing your Template
Although we still need to create a component to render this page, we can still verify that the template is showing up or not.
- From your CQ Welcome page select Websites.
- Select the ‘Websites’ folder and then click New.
- Select New Page from the dropdown.
- You will notice that your Template appears on the top.
- Go to Adobe Manager ex: www.domain.com/projects.(EX: www.localhost:4502/projects)
- Go to Sites and select Create Page from Top Navigation Bar.
- On the next screen it will ask to select template, you can verify your template here.